Menus in Profound JS

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Profound.js users.
Tracy Eastwood
New User
First Name: Tracy
Last Name: Eastwood
Company Name: Logicmate Ltd
Phone: +447711927713

Menus in Profound JS

Post by Tracy Eastwood »

Hi

I want to create a main screen with a menu, which is used to provide selection of separate screen (programs) within the body of the screen below the menu.

I'm trying not to have to duplicate the menu in each of the separate programs, is there a way where I can have the menu from one program active at the same time as another program controlling the screen below it.

Many thanks
Tracy
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Menus in Profound JS

Post by Scott Klement »

Are you looking for something similar to Atrium, where when you choose a new option, it opens in a separate tab?

Or, are you looking for something stateless?

Or, do you want to end ("kill") the stateful job when you start a new one to replace it?
Tracy Eastwood
New User
First Name: Tracy
Last Name: Eastwood
Company Name: Logicmate Ltd
Phone: +447711927713

Post by Tracy Eastwood »

Hi Scott

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

I'm looking at the kill stateful job option.

I have done something similar in RPG using Profound UI in a service program, something like this would be good, but I'm open to suggestions

Thanks
Tracy
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Post by Scott Klement »

Hi Tracy,

You say you're already doing this with a service program in Profound UI. Why not do it the same way in Profound.js? Its not clear what problem you're having with that approach.

The way I'd do it is something like this:
  • Modify the start.html file to include the menu in the HTML. (By coding it in HTML, not by trying to insert a rich display file.)
  • Have it open the selected Profound.js program in an iframe.
  • When a new option is selected, change the URL on the iframe, this should kill the existing application and replace it with a new one.
The advantage to coding this as HTML and using an iframe like this is that there's no need to do anything with your existing Profound.js modules or screens, it's all independent of them. Of course, you have to be willing to accept that each one will be "killed" in the middle of being used, but.. it doesn't sound like that's a problem for you.