using long names in DSPF

Use this board for starting discussions, asking questions, and giving advice on RPG programming for the IBM i platform (and predecessors.)
cimbala
New User
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Cimbal
Company Name: Dirk Rossmann GmbH
State / Province: Outside Canada/USA

using long names in DSPF

Post by cimbala »

Hi *all,

since the ne ProfoundUI- Version you can use long names for the variables in die Designer (Alias).
But how i can use then in my RPG-program? with normal DDS-Tables und SQL-Tables there´s no problem, but how about aliases in dspf´s?

thanks your your help
David
Profound Logic Staff Member
First Name: David
Last Name: Russo
Company Name: Profound Logic Software

Re: using long names in DSPF

Post by David »

When you switch on the option to allow long field names (in the toolbar), the designer will automatically create ALIAS keywords in the DDS for your long field names.

The concept is then identical to using them on database tables -- the designer is just automatically putting in the ALIAS keywords for you. To RPG, it looks the same as a database table that you coded the keywords on manually.

There's a good article from Jon Paris and Susan Gantner on general usage of ALIAS names here:

http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/devel ... RPG_Alias/

Have a look esp. at page 2 for a very convenient method using data structures to have the compiler automatically bring in the long field names. You can then use this data structure to reference the fields, and also on the I/O operations as shown in the example. This technique requires OS release 7.1.
Brian
First Name: Brian
Last Name: May

Post by Brian »

I also want to point out that Alex Roytman and I will actually be explaining and demoing this functionality in our upcoming webinar "See What i Can Do With Modern RPG Development" on February 12th, 2014. You can register here https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/207407002
dieter
Experienced User
First Name: Dieter
Last Name: Schröder
Company Name: Ecclesia Holding GmbH

Post by dieter »

Hello,

Brian wrote that he and Alex Roytman would hold a webinar demoing the use of long field names. Unfortunately the webinar is over. Do you have a copy of this webinar? Can you make this copy available for download?

Or maybe even better do you have a simple example for using long field names with ProfoundUI?

I have no experiences with alias names. In the RPG reference i see that with V7.1 the new keyword ALIAS is introduced. Is this helpful for using long field names?

Maybe i can just explain what i want to achieve with long names:
Normally the 10 character names are ok for me. But in Profound Screens we often need to set attributes for fields. E.g. we habe the field "bs_number" in the screen. Then it would be very nice, if we could name the visibilty attribute for this field "bs_number_visbible" or "bs_number.visible". What must i do in my RPG Programm to do this? I think i know what i have to do in the Visual Designer. But i don't know the special coding in RPG.

Thank you in advance.

Dieter
Brian
First Name: Brian
Last Name: May

Post by Brian »

Dieter,

The webinar can be found on our website at http://www.profoundlogic.com/compevents.rpgsp

It is titled "See What i Can Do with Modern RPG Development". The demo in that webinar demonstrates using the ALIAS keyword in conjunction with long field names in your Rich Display File as well as other modern techniques.
dieter
Experienced User

Post by dieter »

Thank you. I found the link. But i can not download the file because i have to fullfill your form with a valid US telephone number. I am from Germany.
I will try some other numbers.

Dieter
dieter
Experienced User

Post by dieter »

OK!
i found a number which is Ok on your website. Sorry, it is not my number :-)

Dieter