problem saving group settings [edit ...and user settings]

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Rich Displays users.
amc
Profound User
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Cusack
Company Name: Welding Industries
City: Adelaide
State / Province: Outside Canada/USA
Zip / Postal Code: 5139

problem saving group settings [edit ...and user settings]

Post by amc »

I have four groups set up. They all inherit setting from the "All Groups" (global) level & that has been working fine.

Now I wish to change one group to have different settings to the rest.

When i edit that group & untick "inherit settings", even if I change nothing else, I cannot save the group. I click the save button, but there is no success or failure message, it just sits there. If I tick "inherit settings" on again and then save i get the "Group Updated" message as expected.

[edit - the same thing is happening if I edit a user, as soon as I untick "inherit settings", the save button does nothing, just sits there ?]

Is this broken, or is it just my install ?

This is version 3.15

[edit2 - workaround - at the global level i have show banner unticked - if when i edit one of the groups i tick & then untick the show banner banner I am able to save the group with inherit settings unticked ! ]

regards

Tony C
David
Profound Logic Staff Member
First Name: David
Last Name: Russo
Company Name: Profound Logic Software

Re: problem saving group settings [edit ...and user settings]

Post by David »

I haven't been able to recreate this in my testing with 3.1.5 -- I'm able to save users and groups properly when unchecking the "inherit" box.

I would suggest opening an issue with technical support...
amc
Profound User
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Cusack
Company Name: Welding Industries
City: Adelaide
State / Province: Outside Canada/USA
Zip / Postal Code: 5139

Post by amc »

try this

1) at the global (all groups) level untick "show banner"
2) create a test group below the all groups level with "inherit settings" ticked (default), save it
3) edit test group, untick "inherit settings", save it <--- this is where it fails for me, it won't save, just sits there
4) however, if while editing the test group I tick, then untick "show banner" I can save the test group.

this is repeatable for me
David
Profound Logic Staff Member
First Name: David
Last Name: Russo
Company Name: Profound Logic Software

Post by David »

I can see what you mean by following these steps.

However, the behavior is (somewhat) correct in this situation as there is nothing to save. The form keeps track of when you have changed the settings or not.

Just by unchecking the "inherit" option, you have not effectively changed anything, since if you just saved it that way, the group would have all the same settings as its parent, anyhow. You have to actually change one of the settings for it to allow you to save.

What is a bit strange is that the Save button is enabled at that point. It's supposed to be disabled in this situation to make it more clear that you must change one of the settings in order to save...