Tabs - server response vs. client side

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Rich Displays users.
leatherlips
Profound User
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Geldert
Company Name: Stonriver

Tabs - server response vs. client side

Post by leatherlips »

I have 3 tabs where all the content is initially built prior to displaying the "record format" for the first time.

I had added a tab response field and coded the RPG so it knew what tab it was on when it executed some bit of work off one of the tabs. (so I could return to the same tab it was on when it executed the item it was processing).

What I want to do, is be able to click on a tab without going back to the server, but when I execute some item on any of the tabs (that requires server action), I want to be able to return to the tab that the user was on when they performed the action/task.

Is it as simple as adding script to the onclick event, or will that mess up the "tab response" value and cause issues when I try to return to the same tab that an action was performed on?
(I hope the above makes sense)
Thanks
Rob
Profound Logic Staff Member
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Ferguson
Company Name: Profound Logic Software

Re: Tabs - server response vs. client side

Post by Rob »

There is a tab property called active tab. Bind this to a numeric field. If you set this field using RPG before the screen is displayed, you can control which tab will be displayed (the first tab is 0, the second is 1 etc). When a response is sent back to your RPG program, this field will also contain the number of the active tab.

Using this field, RPG can read and set the required tab on the tab panel.
leatherlips
Profound User

Post by leatherlips »

Thanks! That works well. Is there also a way when clicking a tab, NOT to return to the server, but instead simply display the the tab that was clicked on? (client side)?
Rob
Profound Logic Staff Member
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Ferguson
Company Name: Profound Logic Software

Post by Rob »

Yes. In fact this is how a tab panel is used in most cases. Clicking on a tab will only send a response to the server if the tab response property has an indicator bound to it.
If you want the tab panel to operate entirely on the client side, don't bind an indicator to this property (or unbind it: there is an unbind field button on the bind dialog).
leatherlips
Profound User

Post by leatherlips »

Good deal! I've give this a try.
Thanks