Designing a display file

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Genie users.
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Designing a display file

Post by Scott Klement »

I guess it depends on what you mean by that.

When you run a Rich Display from within Genie, it runs inside the same browser window/tab as a program running in the same job as the 5250 programs. So, it runs the same way a green-screen would -- just with a nicer display.

But you can't run a Rich Display inside the same job/window as Access Client Solutions (or any other 5250 emulator for that matter) because ACS doesn't have the ability to render dynamic HTML. This type of rendering can only run in a web browser. And the way it communicates between the browser and the server is something that was specially written for Genie. It doesn't exist elsewhere.

However, if you just want to initiate a Rich Display from ACS, you could that with STRPCCMD. This would start up a web browser and point the browser to the URL of a RIch Display. So if that's what you mean, then yes, it could be run from a non-genie green-screen. But that's VERY different from running in Genie, since it's running in a separate job on the IBM i, and a separate Window on the PC -- so they're completely separate applications in that case with no integration between them. One just happened to be started up by the other.

I hope I explained that clearly. Sometimes the simplest, most fundamental things, are the hardest to put into words.