profoundjs vers 5

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Profound.js users.
danpif
New User
First Name: danilo
Last Name: pifferetti
Company Name: pifferetti danilo

profoundjs vers 5

Post by danpif »

good morning,
i installed profoundjs version 5 on a windows machine. Up to version 4 no key activation was required but now it asks me for the key to be able to use designer and run applications.
Is the product no longer free?

regards
danilo
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: profoundjs vers 5

Post by Scott Klement »

Hello Danilo,

We have made some changes to the way Profound.js was licensed. Don't worry, if you have an existing license for it, it will transfer to the new model. If that hasn't been done already, you can contact our staff and we'll help you get it transferred.

I'll reach out to our team and have someone contact you, and we'll work with you.

In the meantime, if you have questions about this, I would recommend reaching out to our team directly by contacting sales@profoundlogic.com
danpif
New User
First Name: danilo
Last Name: pifferetti
Company Name: pifferetti danilo

Post by danpif »

hello Scott,
tanks for replay ...
i use profoundjs since ver 3 but i never had license, i only use Visual Designer and UI Framework in windows/linux machine ( and since version 4 no key required).
Now, after updating to version 5, i can't use ui Framework, is the license required? i have to buy licese for ui framework?

regards
danilo
Scott Klement
Experienced User

Post by Scott Klement »

Yes, some parts of Profound.js that previously didn't require a license will require them starting with version 5. As I mentioned, someone from Profound will contact you to discuss your needs and see how we can help you.

The Visual Designer environment is always available at no charge on https://spaces.profoundjs.com/
James-S
Profound User
First Name: James
Last Name: Sherwood
Company Name: Brunswick Boat Group
City: Knoxville
State / Province: Tennessee

Post by James-S »

After the most recent Profound PLUS online seminar, I see all the cool enhancements like low-code and api creator. Am I reading this thread correctly that profound.js is now a fee based licensed product? Is this true for download to Windows and the IBM i? Before only profound.js connector was a fee based license.

If so, selling Profound for modernization is going to be a harder sell to higher ups. It's been one of our talking points as we have discussed moving into the node.js world being we could take our current rich displays and either convert RPGLE to node.js (with Profound services) or start building from scratch node.js applications using the existing designer.

Please give a more clear explanation of a new license model.

Thanks!
Scott Klement
Experienced User

Post by Scott Klement »

(Sorry for the slow response -- I wanted to talk to the team and make sure I had everything right.)

With the release of Profound.js 5.0, we have changed the licensing strategy. In version 4.15.2 and earlier, you paid a license for connecting to your server running IBM i. However, we found that what our customers wanted most was the addition of Low-Code, REST APIs, and enhancements to the Rich Display framework. Therefore, we feel it is more straightforward to license for those components directly. This will help us provide the functionality our customers need as we move forward together.

Don't worry, if you previously purchased a license for the IBM i connector, your license will transfer over to the new license model. If you haven't already received a new license from us, please contact our sales team at sales@profoundlogic.com for assistance.
James-S
Profound User
First Name: James
Last Name: Sherwood
Company Name: Brunswick Boat Group
City: Knoxville
State / Province: Tennessee

Post by James-S »

Scott,

No worries about slow response. You are probably like me and on vacation this week.

I will reach out to sales to better understand the licensing costs for this new model. Thanks for the heads up.

Have a great holiday!

James