Grid widget and data displayed in grid

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Genie users.
Wayne C.
Experienced User
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Colasinski
Company Name: Sofworx / Tantara Transport

Grid widget and data displayed in grid

Post by Wayne C. »

I have a screen that contains 2 subfiles, one displayed in the top half of the screen, the second displayed in the bottom half of the screen. Genie detects the first subfile and displays it fine. Genie doesn't detect the second subfile so I dragged a Grid widget over the displayed data. That's fine.

The problem is that even though I have the working grid, I can't entirely use the "onrowclick" event because the individual fields seem to be in front of the grid. I have to find and click on a spot of a row that is not covered by a data field. When I send the fields to the back, they disappear. I was wondering if there is a grid setting that allows the data to appear (or bleed) through the grid so I can use the "onrowclick" event unencumbered?

Otherwise I'm guessing I have to code the "onclick" event for each individual data field in the grid so that a user can select a row by clicking anywhere on that row.
Wayne C.
Experienced User

Re: Grid widget and data displayed in grid

Post by Wayne C. »

I think I figured it out. I didn't add the "data columns" in the "Grid Data from Screen" section of the Grid widget. When in doubt, reread the documentation. ;)
Wayne C.
Experienced User

Post by Wayne C. »

Here's a follow-up question to the above situation.

Is it the norm that Genie only recognizes or "detects" one subfile per screen? And when I mean "detect" I mean will Genie automatically place the grid over the 2nd subfile.

Another thing I found (in my particular instance) with the 2 subfiles per screen is that the actual hard keys "Page Up" and "Page Down" do not work on the second Grid even though the Grid widget appears to have focus. I added some js script ( document.getElementById("I_14_1").focus(); )in the "onpageup" and "onpagedown" events to place focus on the first select field of the second grid. If I use the scroll bar and page up and page down tabs on the grid it all works fine.

By the way, the "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys work in the green screen version and worked in the Genie version before I placed the grid widget over the second subfile.
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Post by Scott Klement »

There is code in Genie to handle detecting multiple grids on the same screen, so it should work? But, its important to remember that the "automatic detection" isn't perfect and can never be perfect. The system doesn't tell us what is or isn't a subfile, just what text to print on the screen. We have a lot of code that tries to figure grids out, but every day we run into more situations where it won't work. Hopefully these are all edge cases, but it'll never be 100% reliable.

With regards to the page up/down problem, this should be reported as a bug so it can be properly diagnosed. I know we've run into a similar-sounding issue recently that we've been looking into. If you file a bug report and it ends up being the same issue, we can fix it.