Custom widgets, response value, and documentation

Use this board for starting discussions, asking questions, and giving advice on Web programming for the IBM i platform (and predecessors.)
JacobPreston
New User
First Name: Jacob
Last Name: Preston
Company Name: Preston Software

Custom widgets, response value, and documentation

Post by JacobPreston »

I've recently been working a bit with learning how the custom widgets work with Profound.

There are couple questions I had regarding the documentation at http://www.profoundlogic.com/docs/displ ... onse+Value

1. For a custom widget, there is an onsubmit function (myCustomWidgetOnSubmit) that must be called via the record format's onsubmit property. Is there a way to have the custom on submit function for our custom widget to be called without manually putting this in the record format's on submit property? While it may not be a big issue, it may not be obvious to someone who did not develop a specific custom widget that they will need to add in that code in the onsubmit property for each record format containing that widget.

2. Is there somewhere we can report possible errors in the documentation? Upon referencing the example titled Example "field type" property setter in the link mentioned above, I ran into an issue. The example attempts to reference id directly, but when I tested this I had to use parms.dom.id to retrieve the correct id for that element.

Thanks
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Custom widgets, response value, and documentation

Post by Scott Klement »

JacobPreston wrote:1. For a custom widget, there is an onsubmit function (myCustomWidgetOnSubmit) that must be called via the record format's onsubmit property. Is there a way to have the custom on submit function for our custom widget to be called without manually putting this in the record format's on submit property? While it may not be a big issue, it may not be obvious to someone who did not develop a specific custom widget that they will need to add in that code in the onsubmit property for each record format containing that widget.
No.

What I recommend is writing a globally-available JavaScript function that finds and submits values to all custom widgets currently on the display. I've found it easy to write it generically enough that it can work for any screen.

Then make it a standard function that everyone always calls from their onsubmit. This way, its part of standard procedure and never forgotten.
JacobPreston wrote:2. Is there somewhere we can report possible errors in the documentation? Upon referencing the example titled Example "field type" property setter in the link mentioned above, I ran into an issue. The example attempts to reference id directly, but when I tested this I had to use parms.dom.id to retrieve the correct id for that element.
Yes, you can ask questions, report problems, request new features, report documentation issues, etc by e-mailing support@profoundlogic.com