Page up/Down buttons are not displaying in Profound UI

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Atrium users.
venky2903
New User
First Name: venkat
Last Name: vadige
Company Name: ISE

Page up/Down buttons are not displaying in Profound UI

Post by venky2903 »

HI

Earlier we used a program described display files and now I replaced with a external described display file.
when we access the program described display file in Profound UI, it displays the Page up and page down buttons.
but after the conversion to external display file these two buttons are missing.

Old DSPF - is a screen and it displays the 10 records and when page down pressed , displays the next 10 records.
New DSPF - is a single page subfile.

Does any one know reason? why these buttons are missed.
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Page up/Down buttons are not displaying in Profound UI

Post by Scott Klement »

Did you code buttons on the screen, but they're not showing?

What has this to do with Atrium?
venky2903
New User
First Name: venkat
Last Name: vadige
Company Name: ISE

Post by venky2903 »

Page up/down buttons are declared in subfile.and i am accessing green screen in Profound UI. I believe profound should display up/down button automatically but in my case it is not showing.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (9.05 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Post by Scott Klement »

Some clarifications:
  1. This isn't related to Atrium, as far as I can tell. It is related to DDS conversion. Correct? You converted green-screen DDS to a rich display file?
  2. Your picture is extremely small, and my eyes aren't that good. But, I think... correct me if I'm wrong... you are showing the "Up" and "Down" buttons that are added by the "Detect Subfile" option in Genie when "Detect Subfile Patterns" is turned off.
The DDS conversion tool only converts your green-screen DDS. It doesn't know about or convert data that's part of the Genie skin.

Also, DDS conversion themes are highly customizable, and we ship several examples with the product, each one works differently. I don't think any of them will add "Up" and "Down" buttons (because, frankly, not many people want those) but some will add a scrollbar to the grid, others will add "Next Page" and "Previous Page" links.

Its also worth noting, that a Rich DIsplay can have a "real" scrollable grid, unlike 5250 mode. In 5250 your grid can only display things the same way that a green-screen can... the buttons basically just send the 5250 codes for page up and page down to the IBM i. Whereas in a Rich Display, assuming you've loaded all pages into the subfile, you get a "real" scrollbar that can scroll one row at a time, or multiple rows, and scroll up and down without sending data to/from the server... which is what people expect from a browser-based application.

My thoughts:
  • I recommend using a scrollbar ("scrollbar" property) for load-all subfiles, and paging bar ("show paging controls" property) for page-at-a-time or expanding subfiles. I prefer that over the buttons you show because it is more modern and more what web/windows users expect. But, even die hard 5250 users will figure it out with no problems. (the actual keyboard keys will still work.)
  • If you really want to use Up/Down buttons, you could create a custom DDS conversion theme for those. This is less modern, though, and not a common request that we get from our customers.
  • Unfortunately, any customizations you've added in the Genie designer (but not in the DDS of your screen) will not be converted over, so you'll have to re-do them if they're important.
  • We have information in our documentation on How to Customize a DDS Conversion Theme that you may find helpful.