Initial program load at Atrium menu startup

Use this board for starting discussions, asking questions, and giving advice on RPG programming for the IBM i platform (and predecessors.)
amarschner@masters
New User
First Name: Al
Last Name: Marschner
Company Name: Masters Gallery Foods, Inc.
Phone: 920-893-9100 x670
Address 1: 411 Cty Hwy PP
City: Plymouth
State / Province: Wisconsin
Zip / Postal Code: 53073

Initial program load at Atrium menu startup

Post by amarschner@masters »

We want to change several of out iSeries user profiles to point the user to an "initial program" after logon. The initial program will set up values in *LDA or QTEMP to be used throughout the session. The initial program must interact with the user (display a screen/window) for input.
Will this method work when that same user (same userid) logons to Atrium?
Are there restrictions as to what kind of program it can be? Can/must it be a CL? Without a green-screen DSPF, I assume.
I see some discussions in the forum, already. I'm not seeing a complete point by point how-to-do scenario.
Al Marschner
Masters Gallery Foods.
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Initial program load at Atrium menu startup

Post by Scott Klement »

HI Al,

When you say "initial program", are you referring to the initial program setting in the user profile? If so, this will only run in a 5250 session.

As far as Atrium goes, it's going to depend on what sort of launcher ("menu item") you have configured. If you're using the Genie Macro launcher, or launchign Genie as a web application via its URL, then user profile's initial program will run because there is a 5250 session. In case you're not aware, each time you launch a menu item in Atrium, it creates a new job on the IBM i, so the programs in each Atrium tab will have a separate LDA and/or QTEMP from the programs running in separate tabs. But, of course, the programs in each tab can call other programs in the same tab, and they'll share an LDA/QTEMP.

Using Genie, green-screens will also work fine. And, no there's no restriction on what type of program it can be.

If you're using a Rich Display application launcher, then you cannot use green-screens, but you can use Rich Displays. This also will not run the initial program from the user profile. But, if by "initial program" you mean the program that you enter into the program/library in Atrium's configuration, then it will of course run that. That program can set up values in the LDA/QTEMP and do a CALL to call other programs in the same tab which can also have Rich Displays. Again, no restriction on what type of program it can be, as long as you don't need the stuff that IBM sets up for interactive jobs (like green screens) it should work. Obviously, if you plan to use the open access handler to drive your screens, that pretty much limits you to RPG. But, if there are no screens, this is a non-issue.