Convert PDF to TIFF

Use this board for starting discussions, asking questions, and giving advice on RPG programming for the IBM i platform (and predecessors.)
devinst
Profound User
First Name: Devin
Last Name: St. Germain
Company Name: Dupre Logistics, LLC
Phone: 337.314.2259
Address 1: 201 Energy Pkwy. Ste. 500
City: Lafayette
State / Province: Louisiana
Zip / Postal Code: 70508

Convert PDF to TIFF

Post by devinst »

I am looking for any suggestions on converting PDF images to TIF on the iSeries. I have heard the name ImageMagick and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it or any other suggestions. Thanks.!!
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Convert PDF to TIFF

Post by Scott Klement »

I don't think ImageMagick can convert from PDF to TIFF, as PDF is not really an image format. It'd basically have to render the PDF in image format rather than convert it.

I don't know whether this would work or not, but you could try something like Ghostscript.

I wonder why you'd want to convert things to TIFF? This is a format you don't see much anymore. It was popular in the early 90's, but disppeared, at least I don't ever see it these days!
devinst
Profound User
First Name: Devin
Last Name: St. Germain
Company Name: Dupre Logistics, LLC
Phone: 337.314.2259
Address 1: 201 Energy Pkwy. Ste. 500
City: Lafayette
State / Province: Louisiana
Zip / Postal Code: 70508

Post by devinst »

Thank you Scott, I will take a look at Ghostscript. Please let me know if you have any examples of how to use any of the functions it has.

Our imaging software does not support printing of PDFs on the iSeries. And I have yet to find a work around for that. Since our documents are saved into the imaging system then extracted for rendition billing I need the printing capabilities.

Thanks Again.!!
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Post by Scott Klement »

Your imaging systems only print TIFF? They don't support things like PostScript or PCL?

I don't have any examples of using Ghostscript, I don't even know if it can do it! I'm suggesting it as something you can look into to see if it will help you, I don't actually know that it will... but it is free software, so doesn't hurt to look.