Adding libraries problem with special char

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Rich Displays users.
davymartu
New User
First Name: Davide
Last Name: Martusciello
Company Name: M.T.S. Informatica

Adding libraries problem with special char

Post by davymartu »

Hi,
I'm trying to add my as400 library that contain "§" char in name.
When I add "my§lib" on my library list (on visual designer and on my settings in Atrium), an error message show me that
"my§lib" is not a valid library name.
There are workarounds to solve my problem?
Thanks in advance
Davide
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Adding libraries problem with special char

Post by Scott Klement »

Currently, the Visual Designer only supports "basic names in unquoted form" as described in the following IBM documentation:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecen ... 6names.htm

If you'd like to file a bug report with Profound Logic, we'd be happy to look into adding support for other names. You can file a bug report by e-mailing support@profoundlogic.com
matt.denninghoff
Profound Logic Staff Member
First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Denninghoff
Company Name: Profound Logic Software
State / Province: Ohio

Re: Adding libraries problem with special char

Post by matt.denninghoff »

In CCSID 37, a library name can start with #, @, and $ special characters. Visual Designer by default follows IBM's documented naming requirements, which say that only #, @, and $ special characters can be used (as the first character). Confusingly, customers using terminal emulators with different CCSID's than 37 can enter different characters as library names. We've discovered that the valid characters are really whatever EBCDIC characters in that CCSID have hex codes 7B, 7C, and 5B (as the first character).

The IBM naming convention should explain that valid characters are whatever characters have EBCDIC hex codes 7B, 7C, and 5B. So, for example, in CCSID 37, those are #, @, and $. In CCSID 1144, those are £, §, and $, etc.

On the IBM i, the § character is stored as 0x7C. So, for example, a user running a CCSID 37 terminal will see a library named ABC@123; whereas a user on a CCSID 1144 terminal would see the same library named, ABC§123.

The IBM HTTP server (Apache) translates EBCDIC character data on the server to the appropriate UTF8 characters in responses, and it translates UTF inputs from requests to the appropriate EBCDIC characters. The HTTP server knows which CCSID to used because of the DefaultFsCCSID directive in the httpd.conf file. So, Profound UI server-side programs can handle different CCSIDs because the HTTP server is handling translations.

To handle non-CCSID-37 special characters, the Profound UI client-side code needs to know about the special characters that should be used in the instance of Profound UI. We added a setting that lets you use non-CCSID-37 special characters in Visual Designer for Library, Object, Member, Field, and Format names. You can setup the special characters according to your Profound UI instance's CCSID. The documentation is found here: http://www.profoundlogic.com/docs/displ ... Characters

By setting the pui["valid LOMFF name 1st chars"] and pui["valid LOM name next chars"] configuration options to use § instead of @, you can enter a library name like ABC§123, and Visual Designer will accept the name.

I have not been able to reproduce a similar problem in Atrium.