Macros xml files not showing or recognized

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Genie users.
thutcheson
New User
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Hutcheson
Company Name: StoneRiver
Phone: 4073825920
Address 1: 16000 Research Pkwy
Address 2: ste 200
City: Orlando
State / Province: Florida
Zip / Postal Code: 32826

Macros xml files not showing or recognized

Post by thutcheson »

I need help with the XML file aspect of macros. We are running PUI 5.0.8. Here is what I have done:
  • I have created macros through the Atrium interface. The macros work, but I don't see any XML file in the macros directory. I do see a bunch of records in the AT* files for macros.
  • I also created an XML macro and put it in the instance directory for macros = /profoundui/macros (yes I am testing on the default instance, profoundui, port 8080). But it doesn't show up in the Control Panel list of macros nor is it available as selection in the Macro dropdown for a new navigation item.
I must be missing something. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Macros xml files not showing or recognized

Post by Scott Klement »

Tony,

Genie Macros in Atrium are separate things from the XML Genie macros.

Atrium only shows macros that you set up in the Atrium control panel. These are stored in physical files that Atrium uses when running Genie macros.

The XML macros that Genie allows are stored in the IFS, and Atrium does not know about them. You can still use these XML macros from Atrium by running Genie as a "web application" and setting the URL to point to a Genie XML macro. But they will not appear in the "Genie Macros" dialog.

I've thought about (but not officially made this a task) eliminating the Atrium PF style macros. If we ever decide to do this, I was thinking we'd include a program that would convert the existing Atrium macros to XML and put them in the IFS directory, and change Atrium to use the XML macros insteaed of the PF ones. Then we'd have only one type of macro and they'd work both from Genie directly and from Atrium. But, again, this was really just a "daydream", we have not actually set it up as a task or allocated resources to it.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on this. Would that make things easier to understand and use? Is it a good idea?
thutcheson
New User

Post by thutcheson »

Thanks for your response Scott. I have been out sick or I would have written back sooner.

Re PF style macros versus XML macros - the XML macros are easier to add, change, update and 'install' to instances as needed. I would prefer one way to admin the macros.

That said, I am finding a drawback potentially with the XML macros. I was able to create and use an XML macro. However, it makes me log in every time, contrary to the PF macros which authenticate within Atrium and automatically log in.
  • Is the only way to authenticate the XML macros by using the 'token' parm on the URL (and writing the exit program code to go with it)?
  • Or is there a way for the HTTP authentication to take effect once signed in to Atrium when using the XML macro?
  • Or have I set something up incorrectly?
Glenn
Profound Logic Staff Member
First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Hopwood
Company Name: Profound Logic Software
State / Province: Ohio

Post by Glenn »

Tony,

You can add the 'auth' directive to the url you use and it will automatically log you on.

Example URL without the 'auth' directive: YOURSERVER:YOURPORT/profoundui/genie?macro=mymacro
Example URL with 'auth' directive: YOURSERVER:YOURPORT/profoundui/auth/genie?macro=mymacro

Notice the addition of 'auth' before 'genie'. Try it out and let us know if it solves your issue.

Glenn
thutcheson
New User

Post by thutcheson »

Thanks very much Glenn. I was able to add 'auth' and all is working as expected. Btw, as soon as I saw your answer I had a 'duh' moment. I know I have seen that before but 1) I had forgotten; and 2) I couldn't find it in the documentation this time for some reason.

Thanks again!