HTML variable in universal display file

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Rich Displays users.
rict
New User
First Name: Ric
Last Name: Turner
Company Name: Jano Technologies, Inc.
State / Province: Mississippi

HTML variable in universal display file

Post by rict »

I am trying to write the contents of a bound variable which contains HTML code to a universal display file. The variable contains data such as
<b>this is BOLD</b>

However, when the universal display file is presented to my window I see the value of the variable as:
<b>this is BOLD</b>

Is there a way to send the html code that is in the variable to the universal display file and have it display it properly?

I like to put the html in a field in a file and just write it to the screen.

It would be nice to have a data type of HTML CONTAINER on the universal display file when inserting a field into the html record format.

Any advise is very welcome. Thanks Ric
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: HTML variable in universal display file

Post by Scott Klement »

Does it do this even when the document type = "text"?

The idea was supposed to be that if the document type is HTML, the Universal display will automatically escape things so that you can write fields from your database without needing to worry about 'special' characters . However, it should only do that for the document type you set -- so if the document type is not html, it should not attempt to escape html.
rict
New User
First Name: Ric
Last Name: Turner
Company Name: Jano Technologies, Inc.
State / Province: Mississippi

Re: HTML variable in universal display file

Post by rict »

Thanks Scott. However it still did not work when I tested it as a "TEXT" document.

Perhaps Profound would consider giving us a HTML variable type for universal display files that would accomplish what I am trying to do (which is have some html in the document itself and passing to it program generated html via a bound variable. A variable type that is defined as html (like the html container in rich display files).

Thanks, Ric