Subfile Error Messages Not Being Displayed

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Genie users.
rasaro
Profound User
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Asaro
Company Name: MISD

Subfile Error Messages Not Being Displayed

Post by rasaro »

I converted several DDS subfile screens and noticed that my edit checking error messages are not being displayed. The field does reverse image but no error message pops up. Here is my file.
Attachments
AR0010DF.json
(83.15 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Subfile Error Messages Not Being Displayed

Post by Scott Klement »

Hi Rick,

This looks like the source code for a Rich Display file with 10 record formats in it. Which one is having trouble? Which fields are not displaying?

It would help me if you could provide a "JSON dump" of the screen while it is misbehaving. To do that, run the program, and when you're on the screen and having the problem, please press Ctrl-F9. This will ask you to download a file named json.txt (or similar). Please upload that here, that's the JSON dump I'm referring to. It will let me re-play the screen on my own server, so I can see what you're seeing.

If you need a faster response on this stuff, you can also contact our official support at support@profoundlogic.com. (The forums are a lower priority for us, and are really intended to allow customers to share/compare their work with each other -- but, as you've probably noticed, it often gets used for tech support, so I try to monitor it and help out.)
rasaro
Profound User

Post by rasaro »

Here is the JSON dump Scott. Indicator 46 is the error message indicator that is turned on for this error and the message id that should be displayed is ASI2124 "User Not Found In User Master File". Thanks.
Attachments
json (5).txt
(32.62 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Scott Klement
Experienced User

Post by Scott Klement »

The subject of this forum thread mentions "Subfile Error Messages", but as far as I can tell, indicator 46 is not used anywhere within the subfile itself, it is only used for the SFCTL02 record format.

It looks like you have "Enhanced Mode" turned off for these error messages. Could that be the problem?
Scott Klement
Experienced User

Post by Scott Klement »

Yep, I reproduced your problem, and this does indeed appear to be the issue. (Or, at least, a workaround for the issue.)

1) Click on the record format name.
2) In the "Screen properties" find the "Error messages" property.
3) Turn on "enhanced mode" for all of the errors. Use the "Next/Prev" buttons to scroll through the errors.
3-31-2015 6-17-46 PM.png
3-31-2015 6-17-46 PM.png (26.38 KiB) Viewed 916 times
This is due to a difference in the way green screens work vs. rich displays. For some reason when you overlay a record (like putting a footer record on subfile) in a Rich DIsplay it clears the "record is already on the display" flag. And error messages (according to IBM) only display when the record format was previously on the display.

"Enhanced Mode" is a PUI flag that eliminates that IBM weirdness. When this is turned on, it will always display your error (assuming the appropriate conditioning indictor is on, etc) even if the record format wasn't previously on the display. So turning this on will fix the problem.
rasaro
Profound User

Post by rasaro »

Thanks Scott. Yes, checking this Enhanced Mode box solved my problem. I did not uncheck this box. Could it be globally set to always be checked?
Scott Klement
Experienced User

Post by Scott Klement »

Rick,

This is not set on converted screens for a good reason... we want them to be compatible with the screens you are converting, and this enhanced mode is different from the 5250 behavior.

The reasson this didn't work for you in this instance is the overlaid screen has triggered a bug in the OA handler. We will work on fixing this bug so that converted screens work without needing the 'enhanced mode' checked. So please just set up 'enhanced mode' right now as a work around for the bug until it is fixed.

Thanks