Error message PUI0016 - Not a rich display file.

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Rich Displays users.
Theju112
Profound User
First Name: Thej
Last Name: Pav
Company Name: Confidential
Phone: 00918310800134
Address 1: Chennai
Address 2: India
City: Chennai
State / Province: Outside Canada/USA
Zip / Postal Code: 673592

Error message PUI0016 - Not a rich display file.

Post by Theju112 »

Dear Scott nd team,

I am seeing the subjected error when an RPG which uses a rich display file is executed. I am not sure what is wrong with it.

Attached is the JSON of the file. Can you please guide on what I should be fixing?

mbm0016d.txt
(61.54 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Error message PUI0016 - Not a rich display file.

Post by Scott Klement »

Did you remember to add the HANDLER to the RPG code?
Theju112
Profound User

Post by Theju112 »

Hi Scott,

Yes, the handler has been added to the program as usually done in all our programs:

Code: Select all

FMBM0016D  CF   E             WORKSTN      
F/IF DEFINED (IESRICHUI )                  
F/COPY CPYLESRC,F_HANDLER                  
F/ENDIF          
F                                     INFDS(CUSLOC)

In the compile spool, I can see the below:

F*COPY CPYLESRC,F_HANDLER                                            
F*/COPY CPYLESRC,F_HANDLER                                           
F                                     HANDLER('PROFOUNDUI(HANDLER)') 
F/ENDIF      

So, I guess the handler was added correctly.
Scott Klement
Experienced User

Post by Scott Klement »

Looking at the DDS code you put in your first post, it seems this isn't a valid rich display file?

It looks like you converted a green-screen to an "all-in-one" rich display (which is a rich display that also has green screen in it, so may be used for either rich displays or green screens). Then, you added some record formats at the end of the file that are green-screen only, and have no rich display elements to them at all. This is confusing Profound UI, and it can no longer intepret the file.

Whenever you work with All-In-One displays, you must always keep the green-screen and rich displays in sync with each other. They must always match, or you will have problems.

You can learn more about All-In-One displays, here:
https://docs.profoundlogic.com/x/BwAzAQ

My personal opinion is that All-In-One displays should be avoided if possible.
Theju112
Profound User

Post by Theju112 »

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the information. I believe that I would need to use an All-in-one display file only as maintaining two separate versions might not be affordable.

So when you say that the rich display and the green-screen must be in sync, do you mean to say that both should have the same record formats and that all the record formats should have exactly matching elements?.

How should I be doing this? Should I be adding each of these individual elements and new record formats through the visual designer?

Is there an easy way out?

Kindly advise.
Scott Klement
Experienced User

Post by Scott Klement »

Theju,

Theju112 wrote:Thanks for the information. I believe that I would need to use an All-in-one display file only as maintaining two separate versions might not be affordable.
I don't understand why you say maintaining two separate versions might not be affordable? What does it cost you? In my opinion, it will save you time to do it that way, and saving time will also save money.
Theju112 wrote:So when you say that the rich display and the green-screen must be in sync, do you mean to say that both should have the same record formats and that all the record formats should have exactly matching elements?.
Please read the link I provided in my earlier reply.

Here you say "both shoud have the same record formats", and I find this confusing because in an All-In-One, you don't have two record formats, you have only one. But, it has two sets of instructions, one for green-screen and one for rich display. They share the same record format, however, which is part of what makes this difficult to work with. So both have to have the same fields, with the same data types, in the same positions of the record. But one has to have DDS keywords for green screen that will make it possible to display in a green screen environment, the other has to have Rich Display metadata in the HTML keywords (this includes both the fixed-form and json metadata) that tells how to use it in a Rich Display.

Each time you make a change, you must do so in both the Profound Visual Designer and a RDi. And you have to be careful that the Visual Designer doesn't break something in the green-screen display, and that RDi doesn't break something in the Rich Display. This is why I find it much easier to have two separate display files
Theju112 wrote:How should I be doing this? Should I be adding each of these individual elements and new record formats through the visual designer?
Yes, first add the elements in the Visual Designer. Then edit them in RDi to create the green screen version. I recommend making frequent backups of the source in case you accidentally break something.
Theju112
Profound User

Post by Theju112 »

Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. The "not a rich display file" got resolved after adding the green screen records formats and the elements which were not already added to the rich DSPF through the visual designer.

However I am facing another strange issue with one record format below. Whenever I open the display file in designer and save it, the green screen DDS elements shown below seem to get erased. Not sure why.

In addition, this seems to be causing an issue with the green screen as well. This footer is no longer displayed as it used to. No RPG code related to the footer was modified. Any thoughts on this?

A          R KEYS001                                                  
A                                      OVERLAY                        
A                                 26  2'F3=EXIT'                      
A                                      COLOR(BLU)                     
A                                 26 11'F4=DELETE'                    
A                                 26 22'F5=UPDATE'                    
A                                 26 33'F12=PREVIOUS'                 
Attachments
mbm0016d.txt
(96.61 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Scott Klement
Experienced User

Post by Scott Klement »

Sorry, I am not famiiiar with that one.
Theju112
Profound User

Post by Theju112 »

Hi Scott,

Apologies to bother you on this one again. But I am simply intrigued about the behavior observed here.

As you mentioned in your earlier post, I am trying to sync the green screen and rich display file elements through the visual designer.

There were two record formats missing when the display file was being opened in the designer (as compared to green screen dds).

So the first step was to simply add two new record formats. To the first record format (which is for a data entry screen) , I added all the fields and other elements which were present in the green screen version of this record format. This works fine as expected in both web and green screen.

But the second record format which is simply a footer with function keys, seems to breaking the footer display in the green screen. The footer is no longer displayed and so are the error messages that should be displayed in the message subfile below the footer function keys.

If I comment out the HTML elements added by visual designer for the footer record format, the green screen works fine but the web one stops working as one record format is no longer present.

Not sure if this more detailed explanation helps. I suspect there must be inconsistencies b/w GS and web that I am missing to spot.
mbm0016d.txt
(96.78 KiB) Downloaded 661 times