Tiff images on the 400

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Genie users.
edshaw42
New User
First Name: Ethan
Last Name: Shaw
Company Name: AE
City: COOKEVILLE
State / Province: Tennessee

Tiff images on the 400

Post by edshaw42 »

Hello,

Our imaging is currently .tif. I have read some about ImageMagick converting them (because google chromes does not recognize them), but the instructions are outdated. I was wondering if anyone had another way, or had newer instructions on installing ImageMagick on the iSeries?
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Tiff images on the 400

Post by Scott Klement »

As you pointed out, this really has nothing to do with Genie -- it has to do with the web browsers. You mentioned Chrome, but NONE of the browsers support .TIF, since they are all based on the same standards.

About 1995 when Web was new, I would have similar problems to yours. I would get .TIF images from our advertising agency, and they did not work with web (or, frankly, much of anything else) so I had to convert them. I would use a PC program called Graphic Workshop, which had the ability to do mass conversions from one format to another, I could convert an entire directory of files at once.

There was a time, around 10 years ago, when I tried using ImageMagick as well. It worked nicely, and you could run it on IBM i (in PASE). I don't remember if I used these for .TIF images -- by that point, everyone knew the importance of web, so used techniques that were compatable with browsers. But, I would suspect that ImageMagic would work for you.

Unfortunately, I don't have any new instructions to give you, since I haven't done this in 10 years. Do the old instructions no longer work?
edshaw42
New User

Post by edshaw42 »

Thank you for the response Scott!

The instructions actually do work! But the issue is, it seems that you have to download the libraries for each image type (ex libpng, libjpg, libtiff).. I installed from your link on your personal site, and tried to convert a .tif but it errors because it does not recognize the .tif image type. Our company's images are .tif on the ifs, and when they look at a order number, pulling up the image is essential the use of genie. So we are trying to find a way to make this work. Any ideas are appreciated!
edshaw42
New User

Post by edshaw42 »

Also,

I wanted to note, that we can get a .tif to show up in IE but not chrome.... Not sure if that's helpful at all.
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Post by Scott Klement »

Have you considered using a PC program to mass convert them like I suggested?

What IE supports is largely irrelevant, since it never followed standards, and hardly anyone uses it anymore. Even its manufacturer tells people not to use it, but to use Edge (which is even worse) instead.

The goal should be to support standards compliant browsers, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc. Anything that works there should also work in Edge or IE.
TaskForce_Kerim
New User
First Name: Kerim
Last Name: Güney
Company Name: Task Force IT-Consulting GmbH
City: Dortmund
Zip / Postal Code: 44369

Post by TaskForce_Kerim »

Hello Ethan,

I actually have a custom widget that can display .tif/.tiff files in Chrome. It generally works well though .tif/.tiff files aren't trivial since they can use various kinds of compression, e.g. jpeg, zip or lzw. Could you send me an image of yours just so I can test it?

If you don't feel comfortable uploading your company files here, you can send me an email.