RPG Programming on PC

Use this board for starting discussions, asking questions, and giving advice on RPG programming for the IBM i platform (and predecessors.)
bisawani
New User
First Name: bisawani
Last Name: parera
Company Name: HW

RPG Programming on PC

Post by bisawani »

What can i use to practice RPG Programming on PC that does not have IBM I? im studying RPG programming, I need a way to practice what im learning is there any PC based compilers or emulators for RPG?
Last edited by bisawani on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: RPG Programming on PC

Post by Scott Klement »

The IBM i operating system will not run on a PC. Most people who learn RPG learn it in a school (and therefore use the school's server that runs IBM i) or else they learn it on the job (and therefore use IBM i in the workplace.)

There have been some versions of RPG that run on the PC over the years, but none of them were ever completely compatible with RPG running on IBM i. RPG is deeply integrated into the operating system, working directly with the database that's also built-in, and other things such as the way the system does messaging and produces a call-stack, etc. Emulating this on a PC is non-trivial since you'd have to write an entire operating system along with built-in database. That would be an overwhelming task. Without doing it, it won't be quite the same as using the actual RPG on an IBM i.

Anyway, if you don't have access to a server in school or at your employer's, you might try using one of the time share services that are on the internet, or a cloud-based service on the internet. Here are a list of some of the ones I know of off the top of my head:
Most (if not all) of these do require a monthly fee -- but it's relatively inexpensive (vs. buying your own server, anyway.)
mcorbo
Profound User
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Corbo
Company Name: National Retail Systems
Phone: 2018042713
Address 1: 600 us rt 46w
City: Hasbrouck Heights
State / Province: New Jersey
Zip / Postal Code: 07601

Post by mcorbo »

This one provides free access to a system i
http://www.pub400.com/
WillisH
New User
First Name: Herman
Last Name: Willis
Company Name: Willis

Post by WillisH »

bisawani wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:23 am What can i use to practice RPG Programming on PC that does not have IBM I? I'm using Har Vokse regularly and studying RPG programming, I need a way to practice what im learning is there any PC based compilers or emulators for RPG?
Thanks for the info Scott and Mcorbo. I was wondering about the same thing as I don't have access to an IBM i.