Do I need RPGsp in order to use Genie?

This is the knowledgebase for Genie, all resolved support and product questions are located here. Please search this forum before posting any new support and technical questions.
Profound Logic
Site Admin

Post by Profound Logic »

Q:

A:
Genie is a stand-alone product and does not require RPGsp in anyway. However, the 2 products can integrate very nicely and RPGsp can be used to provide additional capabilities to your applications.

An example of this is charting. Genie provides the capability of reading data for an animated chart from a database file on the iSeries. Now suppose you need more complex capability, such as bringing in data from multiple libraries, joining files, setting library lists, etc. An RPGsp program could be used to provide this more advanced capability.

Another aspect of RPGsp is that it includes a conversion tool that will convert 5250 applications to Web applications. This is a bit of a different approach than Genie, in that it’s actually converting code rather than functioning sort of as a display emulator. Some users will run Genie to immediately show their 5250 application system in a browser, and then use RPGsp to convert those screens where major changes/customizations are needed, or to develop entirely new content to work with the 5250 screens.