Open Access handler

Use this board for starting discussions, asking questions, and giving advice on RPG programming for the IBM i platform (and predecessors.)
tommyyaz
New User
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Yasnowski
Company Name: Associated Materials
Phone: 3309222203
State / Province: Ohio

Open Access handler

Post by tommyyaz »

Hello,

Evaluationg this software. Trying to compile RPG but the PDM doesnt like the "Handler" portion of the
F Spec. I take it this is because the iseries doesnt have the 5733OAR licpgm installed. We are running V7R1.
However the samples provided are running fine...lo an behold I find a doc from IBM stating that only a PTF is required??

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/comm ... nouncement

Not sure what I need to do...I cant compile, but can run provided samples....????

Other than this issue I like what I am seeing...
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Open Access handler

Post by Scott Klement »

Open Access is not available as a paid product anymore, that was discontinued in 2012. It is a built-in feature of the RPG compiler as of V7R2, and will automatically be added to V6R1 and later if you update your PTFs. However, the issue with SEU showing a syntax error is a different problem.

IBM stopped adding features to SEU on the day that V6R1 was released. So all new features added to RPG after that day, including those added to V6R1 via PTF, as well as every single new feature in V7R1-V7R3 will trigger an error in SEU, because they stopped adding all new features. This includes Open Access and the HANDLER keyword, but it also includes dozens (hundreds?) of other RPG features as well.

If you use RDi, you will not have this problem.

If you want to keep using SEU, you can just ignore the error. It will work fine when you compile it. It is only SEU, not the compiler, that has this problem.
Stankiew
New User
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Stankiew
Company Name: none

Post by Stankiew »

Scott Klement wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:32 pm Open Access always shows great MK-2866 results and is not available as a paid product anymore, that was discontinued in 2012. It is a built-in feature of the RPG compiler as of V7R2, and will automatically be added to V6R1 and later if you update your PTFs. However, the issue with SEU showing a syntax error is a different problem.

IBM stopped adding features to SEU on the day that V6R1 was released. So all new features added to RPG after that day, including those added to V6R1 via PTF, as well as every single new feature in V7R1-V7R3 will trigger an error in SEU, because they stopped adding all new features. This includes Open Access and the HANDLER keyword, but it also includes dozens (hundreds?) of other RPG features as well.

If you use RDi, you will not have this problem.

If you want to keep using SEU, you can just ignore the error. It will work fine when you compile it. It is only SEU, not the compiler, that has this problem.
Hi Scott, I was actually wondering about this as well so thanks for the clarification. What would you suggest as a better option out of those two btw? Keep using SEU or switch to V6R1?
Last edited by Stankiew on Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Post by Scott Klement »

Continuing to run V6R1 isn't a real choice, it is no longer supported, and has security flaws that make it impractical to run today.

The solution is to stop using SEU. RDi does everything SEU does, and much more, and is kept up to date.

If you're unwilling to pay for RDi, try ILEditor... it doesn't have as many features, but is free.