Function key detection

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Genie users.
rasaro
Profound User
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Asaro
Company Name: MISD

Function key detection

Post by rasaro »

Can Genie's automatic function key detection coding be changed? It works great for F3=Cancel function key detection for example. But we have hundreds of screens that use "F3 - Cancel" text for example.
Scott Wagers

Re: Function key detection

Post by Scott Wagers »

Rick,

Yes, you can do some custom JavaScript to pick up the specific function key text. If you could zip up a copy of your Genie skin (located at /profoundui/userdata/genie skins/skin_name by default) and capture a screendump of one of the screens containing the "F3 - Cancel" text to send to support@profoundlogic.com I could try and put an example together for you to use.

To get the screendump you can open a screen with the text in Genie and press CTRL + F9, you should receive a prompt to save a file to your PC. Save this and send the file to me.
rasaro
Profound User

Post by rasaro »

Scott,

Here is the zip file and screen dump.

Thanks.
Attachments
json (6).txt
(4.39 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
MISD.zip
(376.47 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
rasaro
Profound User

Post by rasaro »

Scott, any update on this?

Thanks, Rick
Scott Wagers

Post by Scott Wagers »

I'm still working on the possibilities of what other key combinations there could be to determine this works properly. Do you have any other screens you could capture and send that might include something with a 2 digit 'F' key? (For example F12 - Back)
rasaro
Profound User

Post by rasaro »

Ok, here are two screens with a lot of functions keys. Thanks.
Attachments
json (9).txt
(8.35 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
json (8).txt
(3.86 KiB) Downloaded 579 times
Scott Wagers

Post by Scott Wagers »

Thank you for the additional files. I should have something over to you shortly.
rickflagler
New User
Last Name: Flagler
Company Name: Keene State College
City: keene
State / Province: New Hampshire
Zip / Postal Code: 03435

Post by rickflagler »

Would this same technique be applicable to screens with text = "CMD - 7" in them? I know a site with S/36 environment screens with mostly no text on screens, Fkeys defined internally which Genie detects, but appears to miss the CMD - 7 on screen. Thanks.
Scott Wagers

Post by Scott Wagers »

Rick,

It is certainly possible to write a custom script to detect that pattern and have Genie pick it up. Do you know if this is a single field in Genie, or are there other function keys in with the CMD - 7 text? In the other case all of these function keys were being detected as a single field by Genie, which made it very easy to pick up.
rickflagler
New User
Last Name: Flagler
Company Name: Keene State College
City: keene
State / Province: New Hampshire
Zip / Postal Code: 03435

Post by rickflagler »

I'm not sure if all programs at this site work exactly the same. Will have to review more.

In the case I spoke of above, panel contained CMD 7- End on the screen with the standard buttons for: Enter, Page Up, Page Down, Keypad at the bottom. Pressing either the Genie keypad and F7 or F7 key on the keyboard activated the CMD 7 behavior.

A quick look at some other source shows that sometimes, CMD 7- End, Cmd 7 --Cancel, Cmd 7--Do NOT update and CMD 7--End are present. Also, Cmd 9-Delete and a variety of other keys. In all cases, the CF01, CF07 definition exists in the DSPF, so as long as the user can interpret the screen, the program reacts appropriately.

Seems like for applications not to be obsoleted, it would be ideal to remove the CMD 7- End from the screen and place F7=End on a button at the bottom, similar to how standard OS screens appear. If possible, it might be nice to set up generic handling on any occurrence of CMD n- xxxxx or Cmd nn--xxxxx that would handle various screen coding of similar functions? Is that possible? Obviously, I am new to Genie.

New Info - I was able to detect CMD 10, for example, and change to a button, but where can you find the script to modify this to be more generic?
Last edited by rickflagler on Fri May 15, 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.