Subfiles

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Genie users.
dkmccammon
Profound User
First Name: Darin
Last Name: McCammon
Company Name: NAICO
Phone: 4052584301
Address 1: 1010 Manvel Ave
City: Chandler
State / Province: Oklahoma
Zip / Postal Code: 74834

Subfiles

Post by dkmccammon »

Is there a way to add a column to the subfile at the beginning of the subfile? I know about the one that you can add at the end, but I need to add one at the beginning.
Emily
Profound Logic Staff Member
First Name: Emily
Last Name: Seage
Company Name: Profound Logic

Re: Subfiles

Post by Emily »

Darin,

We currently don't have a way to add a column at the beginning of the subfile. However, you can add a column at the end of the subfile and simply move it to the beginning (or wherever you want to add it). To move a column, you can simply grab the header of the column that you want to move, and drag it to a new position in your grid. You should see blue arrows show up above the grid that shows you where you're about to place the column while you're dragging it.

Would this work for you? Let us know if you have any other questions!

--Emily
Emily Seage
Support Team Lead
dkmccammon
Profound User

Post by dkmccammon »

That will work thank you. I didn't notice that option before because I was hiding the headers and creating my own custom headers so the option to move the columns around was gone. I added them back and moved the columns where I wanted to and then removed the headers again, thank you.
dkmccammon
Profound User

Post by dkmccammon »

Actually after saving it and refreshing the page with the refresh on the toolbar, the column reverts back to the end of the subfile, so this will not work it appears.
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Post by Scott Klement »

Darin,

Emily's advice does not apply to grids that are loaded from 5250 data that's "consumed" from the green-screen. In this 5250 mode, Genie tries to figure out which data to load into which grid column based on where the data is located in the green-screen -- so if you move the columns around, it may very well put it in a different place when the screen is re-drawn.

If this is a database-driven grid, then moving the column will work fine -- provided that you ALSO change the order of the database fields (columns) to match the new sequence.

If this is a Rich Display, then moving the columns as Emily describes will work perfectly.

So it really depends on the situation. But, since you posted this in the Genie forum, I'm guessing you are "consuming" from the green-screen... and you're right, this won't work in this case.