Copying non-tablet skin renderings to a tablet skin?

Use this board to ask questions or have discussions with other Genie users.
Wayne C.
Experienced User
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Colasinski
Company Name: Sofworx / Tantara Transport

Copying non-tablet skin renderings to a tablet skin?

Post by Wayne C. »

We've already created a Genie skin for our desktops. We now want to create a skin to be used on tablets. Is it possible to copy some or all of the customized screen renderings from our desktop skin to the new tablet skin? A lot of time was spent on customizing screens and I'd hate to go thru all of that again. Actually, our desktop skin seems to work fine on the tablet except there is no access to the Enter, Page up, Page down, and Keypad functions.
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Re: Copying non-tablet skin renderings to a tablet skin?

Post by Scott Klement »

I assume you are referring to screen customizations that you made through the Genie designer? Or are you referring other things (like changes to custom.js or CSS classes?)

If it is the screen customizations, they are stored in the IFS under /www/YOUR-INSTANCE/htdocs/profoundui/userdata/genie skins/YOUR-SKIN/Screens

You can copy any/all of the screens that you wish to include in your tablet skin by coping the *.scn files from that directory to the Screens directory for your tablet skin. This will copy the screen customizations.

Once you've done that, you should run the PUI0002103 program to rebuild the screen list. A more detailed explanation can be found here:
http://www.profoundlogic.com/docs/displ ... nvironment
Wayne C.
Experienced User

Post by Wayne C. »

I didn't even think of that. I did make some changes to the CSS because of coloring issues. In some of our subfiles, we use all 8(?) colors available on green screen to designate the status of an order, customer, etc.. I think out of the box, Genie converted white text to navy blue, blue text to green, and green text to blue. That caused some problems. Plus some of the other colors just didn't appear as vibrant on the default grid background. Long story short, I did make significant CSS changes for coloring because I wanted to keep things/colors in sync since a majority of our users are still using the green screen version.

Primarily talking about screen customizations made thru the genie designer but I have to take into consideration changes made to the CSS. Since I really don't know javascript, I've stayed away from the custom.js
Scott Klement
Experienced User
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Klement
Company Name: Profound Logic
City: Milwaukee
State / Province: Wisconsin

Post by Scott Klement »

Unfortunately, if you made changes (such as fonts) to your tablet skin's CSS, and changes (colors) to your regular skin's CSS, you're going to have to merge the changes by hand. There's no easy way I know of to copy your color changes without wiping out the font changes... so you'll have to merge them by hand.

Hopefully the technique for moving the screen customizations that I explained earlier will work for your other customizations?
Wayne C.
Experienced User

Post by Wayne C. »

Just as an experiment, I copied 2 renderings from my PC skin to my tablet skin. In my PC skin, I moved mostly everything on the screen to the right. I also moved the screen identifier from its original DDS spot on right side of the screen to the left side of the Genie customization to make better use of real estate. I did this throughout the PC skin and had no problem when I copied customizations from my development skin to the production skin.

In order for the 2 copied renderings to be recognized in the tablet skin, I had to assign the screen identifiers the same position as the identifiers in the PC customization. Once I did that, the tablet skin was able to incorporate the copied customizations but the resulting renderings were a mish mash of the original tablet version and the copied PC skin version.

My question is is this even do-able or has someone else tried to do this? Are there other considerations when copying customizations to a tablet skin? No changes have been made to the tablet skin's CSS yet regarding colors... or anything else.